Dear America,

First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Socialist.
Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Trade Unionist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.
-Martin Niemöller

Dear America,

I hope you have at least some awareness of this quote. If it hasn’t struck a nerve within you, then shame on you. It’s one of my favorite reflections on the dangers of apathy. I urge you to re-read it, only this time, substitute “Registered Sex Offender” for “Socialist”, “Trade Unionist”, or “Jew”. It’s not the same thing, you say.

I say to you, “Bullshit”.

Governments lead through fear and what better way to permeate fear upon its citizens than by concocting vilifying labels and then applying them to anyone they deem “dangerous” to society. The masses accept these labels as truths and look upon their branded citizens with loathing, disdain, and, yes, fear.

Why don’t you dare look beyond the label? There are now over 810,000 of us “Registered Sex Offenders” living in this country (a surprisingly large number, isn’t it?) and it continues to grow. Do you really think we’re all dangerous? Are you convinced that we are out to rape your young daughters or molest your young sons? First of all, in those cases that actually involved any victim, the vast majority involved victims over the age of 17. Then we can look at the substantial number of cases where there was NO VICTIM at all (I fall into this category). Not only has the Government felt a need to label me as a “Registered Sex Offender” but they also felt the need to identify me as a “Predator”. Mystifying, since even the presiding judge agreed that there wasn’t any victim.)

That leaves a minority of cases that involved victims under the age of 17. Most of these are either so-called “Romeo and Juliet” cases or children sexually assaulted NOT by strangers, but by someone known to the victim, a family member, a trusted friend of the family, teachers, priests or ministers. Most studies have found that over 97% of victims under the age of 17 were assaulted by someone known by them. In other words, children are much more likely to be abused and assaulted by someone NOT on the registry.

Granted, there are dangerous people out there and no doubt, some of them are on the Registry, but how can you tell them apart? Pure and simple…you can’t. So who is the Registry protecting? Absolutely nobody. It’s nothing but a false sense of security that is doing far more harm than good. We are not free to live where we choose. It is near impossible to find gainful employment. Those areas where we are restricted from walking or even driving through, continues to expand. More and more we are forced to abide under stricter regulations with a real threat of incarceration. All this despite the fact that those of us convicted of crimes that fall under the “sex offender” label have the lowest rate (by far) of recidivism for all felons.

At the rate the registry’s population is growing, it won’t be long until everyone knows someone directly affected by it. Will it be too late? It’s already too late for Christian Adamek. He was a 15-year-old high school student threatened to be prosecuted under Alabama’s sex offender laws. His crime? As a prank, he streaked across the field during his school’s football game. In the end, Christian avoided prosecution. How you ask? Quite simply, he found the only way out. He committed suicide.

There are thousands of similar stories created by the Registry. Perhaps not as drastic as Christian’s but countless stories of lives ruined. Too high of a price to pay for mistakes made. We served our sentences, paid our fines and yet we are condemned forever to a life of scorn under the Registry. The Supreme Court ruled that the Registry is not a form of punishment, but rather only a “regulation”. Tell that to Christian Adamek or his family.

How do we allow this to happen? Because, our apathy allows it to. We sit on our hands and trust our Government to do the right thing. Just as eight decades ago, the people of Germany trusted their leaders to do the right thing, but then it was too late.

Please, do not wait until it is too late. Do not sit and be silent. Do whatever you can to stand up and end the madness now.

Sincerely,
An American Registered Citizen

6 comments for “Dear America,

March 3, 2015 at 8:39 pm

In all honesty, this article is pretty no further from the truth. I am more inclined everyday to put on that gold star of david on my right arm. I would bet people would probably wonder why or ask if I am a jew? I would simply say Yes, we all are. Have you all looked at how much privacy you have since 911 and compared it to today?? Have you recognized how 25 years ago, you could walk down the street and not have to worry about someone taking your picture on a street corner or at a major intersection or checkpoint??

People should already be warned that marshal law is already in place and it only gets worse from here until we speak up.

Think about what the laws are doing to registered citizens of america. If they can do this much for them, just think about what they would do for those who aren,t registered. You have statistics and then you have damn lies. Take your pick.

• spotless mind
      March 5, 2015 at 9:03 am

Scott…I’m not sure what “truths” and “lies” you’re asking us to compare. I certainly agree that our government becomes more “Big Brother”ly everyday and we have nobody to blame but ourselves when our apathy allows laws like “The Patriot Act” to happen. The focus of my article, though, was to address how our society’s apathy affects an issue that affects me (and thousands upon thousands of others) on a daily basis.

For the record, I am against the movement to refer to ourselves as “Registered Citizens”. To me, it minimizes the affect the label has upon our lives. Every citizen has to “register” to vote. We have to “register” our cars. Many have to “register” their dogs and/or cats. While I will never accept that that I am a RSO, I believe it’s important to keep the term intact and in the forefront in our battle to educate the public and have the Registry put to it’s ultimate demise.

March 5, 2015 at 9:56 pm

I know what you,re article was about, Spotless mind. I was implying history then to history now from when the jews were simply targeted and forced to where that star. Just simply to the terms that we have a label like they did a star to be pointed out or recognized from all the rest.

I too am against labels like “sex offender”. I always was and will always be. Similar to the losing the “R” word to those who are developmentally disabled. I would rather see any individual as an individual and not a labeled individual.

• Lance Mitaro
      March 5, 2015 at 2:36 pm

You might as well put a star on your shirt because everyday is Groundhog Day. You’re disallowed the opportunity to resume your life and denied hope that a new day brings. You’re preemptively being monitored and tracked for what those lying child safety advocates KNOW you will do. Then there’s no way to challenge their assertion and paranoia, either.

Let that sink in for a moment.

Here’s another giveaway:

Notice how they always address those people as “convicted” sex offenders in the media with emphasis on convicted? Because that sells the fear more and makes it sound more ominous and menacing. When was the last time you heard or read about a convicted bank robber, or convicted domestic abuser??? It’s all about the fabricated fear and weaponized hatred by association that the phrase “convicted sex offender” generates for sensationalism and profit.

2. Frankee
    March 6, 2015 at 9:28 am

I am married to an SO. Who has not convicted a crime in over ten years until recently because he has to live on the streets. The crimes? trepass. Why? Because he was sleeping in OUR CAR in a parking lot where the city told him to go!!! He has not been able to work in YEARS. I would love to move out of this country and just live a peaceful life with my husband. This country is all about punishment not rehabilitation. The state we live in, FLORIDA, is the worst. Anyone in this forum know how we can leave this place? It’s hell on Earth. He has been Baker acted for suicidal ideation Five Times since December of last year! Once they find out he is an SO no one wants to help. He is in jail now again because of false charges. Even the police told him they will continue arrest him as long as they find him in their city. Can anyone help?!!!!!!

• Kayt
      March 6, 2015 at 11:25 am

To Frankee:

Have you joined Sosen yet? If you haven’t it would be a good idea. We all know that Florida is a most difficult state to live in but by getting to know other families who have gone through this you might not have as much of a problem and gain new insight, ideas and a lot of emotional support. We have a lot of kind people here who have gone through what you are going through.

Kay T