About time the vigilantes started getting their just desserts

A woman who appealed a conviction of harassing a registrant because he visited a girlfriend in the same building has lost an appeal to her harassment charge. It’s about time that registered citizens started standing up for their rights and bringing charges against the vigilantes.

Area woman convicted for harassing sex offender

FRONT ROYAL – All she wanted to do, Delores Ann Harris told a jury Friday, was to protect herself and her granddaughter from a man who had been convicted 21 years ago of aggravated sexual battery, a man who has been on the state’s sex offender registry since 1997.

But the convicted sex offender in the courtroom was the victim in the jury trial. And Harris, 61, was the defendant, charged with misusing information from the sex offender registry.

It took the jury only 23 minutes to find Harris guilty and even less time to impose a $1,500 fine on her for actions that the prosecution described as a campaign of harassment against Scott Costello, 43.

“The commonwealth realizes that Mr. Costello is not a sympathetic victim,” Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney Michael Fleming told the six-member jury during closing arguments.

But, Fleming said, the state law is clear: The state sex offender registry, including details about Costello, can be easily viewed on a website but the information displayed must not be used “for purposes of intimidating or harassing” another person. Violations are categorized as class one misdemeanors carrying penalties of up to one year in jail and a maximum penalty of $2,500.

Read the rest of the story http://www.nvdaily.com/beck/2015/03/area-woman-convicted-for-harassing-sex-offender/

5 comments for “About time the vigilantes started getting their just desserts

  1. Scott
    March 25, 2015 at 8:47 pm

    At least somebody got a piece of the pie. (no pun intended)

  2. Spotless Mind
    March 26, 2015 at 6:08 am

    What’s even more satisfying is that this was the second time this woman lost this case. Unhappy that she was originally convicted of harassment in district course, she appealed and lost again….and was fined a higher amount! It’s good to know that sometimes the justice system does work.

  3. rsojoe
    March 26, 2015 at 10:40 am

    so does this one

    http://californiarsol.org/2015/03/pa-city-will-pay-50000-to-settle-sex-offender-lawsuit/

    City Council agreed last week to pay $50,000 toward the settlement of a lawsuit which was filed against the city for discriminating against a registered sex offender. … Their eviction was prompted by Mayor Justin Taylor’s discovery that Patrick had been convicted in 2009 of unlawful contact or communication with a minor, and his subsequent listing on the Megan’s Law Registry.

  4. Spotless Mind
    March 28, 2015 at 10:13 am

    I see this as being one of the major factors in getting the Registry eliminated. When our government, and persons who represent it, are judged to be financially liable for discriminatory actions against Registrants, then maybe people will begin to wake up. Money talks. If the general public were aware of how much of their tax dollars are spent on not just maintaining the Registry but all costs associated with it, maybe they’d wake up. Especially if they knew that the Registry ONLY offers them a false sense of security.There is legislation currently pending in my state that would require all Registrants to wear GPS for the remainder of our lives. Do the legislators even look into the costs of maintaining this on an annual basis? Our state is so strapped financially as it is.

  5. Emily Kristoffersen
    March 28, 2015 at 1:25 pm

    Sounds like the pendulum is beginning to swing, that is good

Comments are closed.