Viewing Halloween Regulations from the other side.

In a recent article entitled : We are all sex offenders now. — Happy Halloween

A non-registered citizen puts in his two cents of what he thinks about the Halloween rules and regulations.

One can almost bet that a politician is, right this moment, concocting some new stupid piece of legislation. And he will crow if he manages to pass the new absurdity into law — and the more absurd it is, the more likely it is that it will pass.”

He’s one of those people that just doesn’t get real thrilled about the Halloween holiday and would just as soon ignore it.

“Now I can’t. The morons who get elected to office seem intent on making it dangerous to ignore Halloween, perhaps even deadly.”

And his viewpoint on politicians from my point of view seems to be spot on.

“Politicians like to solve “problems” especially where there really is no problem after all. And Halloween gives them such an opportunity. In all the years of Halloween the scare stories are more scary than the real stories. In actuality one child has been abducted while going out trick or treating. That was 35 years ago. Only one case.”

“But the politicians in their campaign to rile up the public about sex offenders (a label that is given out easily and for some very non-serious issues — such as streaking, urinating at the side of the road, or sex between two teenagers) are intentionally fanning the flames of fear for their own personal profit.”

So now because of these laws people who would just as soon be left alone on this particular holiday are being put at risk and being forced to participate in it with the reasoning that is stated in the article.

“One can’t ignore the damn holiday without possibly getting accused of being an offender. For years I’ve safely ignored the holiday. Now, what will the neighbors think? Will they assume that the light is off because a sex offender lives here? Or will they just think an old grump who doesn’t care for being annoyed on Halloween is here? I don’t mind the old grump reputation — I’ve earned it. But damn, that sex offender thing upsets me. The only offending thing about my sex life is that there is damn so little of it. And that doesn’t seem to bother other people much — just me.”

You really need to read the entire article it is a hoot . But it is also very true!

10 comments for “Viewing Halloween Regulations from the other side.

1. Kay T
    October 26, 2014 at 5:31 pm

I read the article and I just think it’s unnecessary to worry about turning off the porch light and pretending that you’re not at home.

Fifty years ago I spent a lot of money on Halloween candy and I was very surprised at the amount of money that a person could spend on CANDY. After that we went to movies on Halloween and I do not feel one twinge of guilt. Not just about money but because Halloween is all about a lot of things I disagree with.

Put my disagreements and money aside for a moment. Why should anybody worry about what the neighbors or anybody else thinks about a person NOT being home??? For all they know the person that is not at home got invited to a wonderful Halloween party! There are Halloween parties everywhere and nobody expects everybody to be at home. Plus, many years I actually had to work on Halloween.

Just turn your lights out and watch TV with a BIG bowl of popcorn!

KT

• Another old fart
      October 27, 2014 at 7:11 am

Mrs or Mr Kay T.;

You’ve probably never had an accusing finger pointed at you in the middle of a witch hunt. Let me assure you we all are in one now. It is obvious that you have never had the label of Sex Offender placed on you and your house either: Let me assure you that it is not a pleasant experience – quite the contrary.

In small towns, word travels fast. In Larger towns, word takes it’s time, but it does travel. All it takes is one IDIOT or FOOL with an ax to grind against another to start trouble. That trouble can easily cost someone their life.

I myself, have had an accusing finger pointed at me by a hater for no other reason than for “PREJUDICE”. The thing about it is that this person was not even held accountable for the sin of Bearing False Witness against a Neighbor. None the less, I would have lost my freedom and my life (once that word had spread to the inmate population) if it were not for my cousin whom was with and around me for much of the time.

In some states, such as Louisiana, all Sex Offenders are REQUIRED to post a state approved sign on their window or door that says “NO CANDY AT THIS RESIDENCE”. Every citizen in the state knows that this residence is home to a Registered sex offender. Additionally, Every Hater knows it too, because shortly after the harassment and burning crosses start – this I know from personal experience.

Many of Us who used to enjoy this time of year with Family and Friends associate it with very Good, Legal, and Moral memories. It hurts us not to be allowed to participate any more with this festival. It’s like someone you know to be a good friend is having a party at his house and you are purposely not invited because your skin is the wrong color, your hair is the wrong style, or you do not have good clothes to wear. Then again you probably wouldn’t understand any of this.

I will say this: your advice for a solution is sound. The expense for candy and decorations is out of budget for those of us whom are not FORGIVEN enough to be allowed good work. I do agree with the suggestion. All I and my fellow Sex Offenders (SOs) ask is that you see things from our perspective.

Does It Matter whom I am, really

• Kay T
        October 27, 2014 at 4:59 pm

To “Another old fart” in response to his/your post.

Thank you for agreeing with the CANDY issue. I have serious issues with Halloween in general.

Just to clarify things for you. Yes, there is a family member in this household that is labeled RSO and we have all the same problems as any other family who has someone in the home who has that label.

What helps me a lot is being in Sosen, to be around people whom I can call friends, to be around people who would listen to me over the phone or through email either by night or by day. They will do what they can to help and for me it is a blessing. I try to help, to volunteer as I can and I may be doing more in the future. Why? Because it’s through these efforts and friendship that we become emotionally stronger and we really do need to be emotionally strong to fight our battle to be treated with common decency.

To answer the question, ” Does it really matter who I am?” Yes, it does really matter who you are, You are a human being and as such you are very important. I think this is one of the most important aspects of Sosen, to treat one another with dignity and respect and friendship.

I hope this message answers some of your questions. If you have more questions, I’m here.

Kay T

• rosemary fain
        November 2, 2014 at 4:30 am

Yes you matter. You really reallydo. You are a precious forgiven child of God.

2. Sloan44
    October 27, 2014 at 5:38 am

Here’s my concern: Halloween is derived from the Christian religion. It is a holiday, originally called “All Hallows Eve” that originated in Europe. By the end of the 12th century they had become holy days of obligation across Europe and involved such traditions as ringing church bells for the souls in purgatory. In addition it was customary for criers dressed in black to parade the streets, ringing a bell of mournful sound and calling on all good Christians to remember the poor souls. No, its not celebrated in the original tradition in America (In some European countries it is) but neither are two other holidays started by the christian church..Christmas and Easter. Will law enforcement designate how registrants can decorate their homes and place restrictions in the future on those holidays as well? Will they claim Christmas and Easter decorations draw children to a registrants home and for the “Safety of the children” the same restrictions are placed on those holidays?
    Bottom line, First Amendment: “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

3. Cathy
    October 27, 2014 at 7:33 am

I think that we should go to an Adult only halloween party and have a great time and screw the rest of em. This is so ridiculous but so common for people to not understand or know anything about what is fact and reality. Take the time to take care of your kids and quit putting the responsibility on everyone else – and stop blaming others cause you can’t raise your kids.

4. Pam
    October 27, 2014 at 8:50 pm

My husband is on lifetime probation and he can’t even go to an adult Halloween Party. He has to stay home with no lights and don’t answer the door. My state is terrible and lifetime probation is the sentence for every SO. Kids are not hurt on Halloween. Their biggest problem is car accidents but the facts don’t seem to matter. I hope it changes someday before I die. His PO and mandated sex offender group are never ending nightmares. Some day I hope he gets an understanding PO or counselor. We need a good lawyer that cares. They are hard to find.

October 28, 2014 at 7:50 am

All this Hate and Hysteria and Witch hunting of sex offenders can only lead me to wonder what exactly they are trying to prove?? I don’t think people realize that sex offenders too have their own children and families. The only thing that this Hate agenda will cause is, sex offenders to fear children. How do you explain to child when an offender abruptly yells at them, “Get away from me”?

If Halloween is about Ghosts and Goblins and Monsters and such, Maybe the Sex offender really isn’t the Monster they assume them to be.

We can be cautious for the children but lets not make sex offenders “haters of children”. It may be that One sex offender who may save a childs life or a reporter of child abuse but out of fear and rejection they may fail to act on a dire situation.

6. Virginia Hall
    October 31, 2014 at 10:44 pm

Here is a link to a story about a young girl killed by a reckless driver on Hallowe’en night, while trick or treating. Where was law enforcement? Hassling, corralling and generally making life miserable for the local registered citizenry. A population with a reoffense rate in the low single digits. While law enforcement was manufacturing fear of sex offenders, crime such as this happens and children are hurt and killed on Hallowe’en (and the rest of the year) — http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/27159025/mother-of-spartanburg-teen-killed-trick-or-treating-asks-for-caution-this-halloween

7. Anonymous
    October 12, 2015 at 8:25 pm

“IF” I had the money I would pass out sex offenders and what you need to know flyers for halloween. As of right now, their are no restrictions of passing out halloween candy as I know of… but I wouldn,t even dare seeing as I live in a small community. I doubt I would get any visitors in the first place.

As a kid, my last trick or treat excursion was at the age of 12. It got pretty old and with the rise in candy being tampered with, it was pretty dangerous.
    In my opinion I would much rather see children congregate in a local civic center and have a costume parade and candy and a vote for the best costume of the year contest than have them roaming the streets unsupervised. Mischevious children are on the rise with the lawlessness of society in the first place.