CDCR Withdraws Halloween Sign Requirement Statewide

CDCR Withdraws Halloween Sign Requirement Statewide
Posted On 26 Oct, 2015

The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) today announced in federal district court its decision to withdraw a statewide requirement that sex offender parolees post a sign on the front door of their residences on Halloween. Immediately following that announcement, CA RSOL withdrew its request for a Temporary Restraining Order (TRO).

“This is a significant victory for more than 10,000 registered citizens and their families,” stated CA RSOL president Janice Bellucci. “They are no longer faced with the risk of significant injury.”

CA RSOL and plaintiff John Doe were represented in court by three attorneys — Janice Bellucci, Chance Oberstein and Alex Landon — who are also members of the CA RSOL board of directors. CDCR was represented by an attorney from the Office of the Attorney General as well as a representative of CDCR.

The plaintiffs in the case alleged that CDCR’s sign requirement violated the First Amendment to the U.S.

Constitution because it was speech compelled by a government agency. CDCR levied the Halloween sign requirement for the past seven years, even requiring homeless registered citizens to post signs on their sleeping bags, tents and vehicles.

“We are grateful to plaintiff John Doe who showed up, stood up and spoke up,” stated Oberstein. “Without him, we could not have filed this lawsuit.”

[source]
Californiarsol .org,. (2015). CDCR Withdraws Halloween Sign Requirement Statewide | CA RSOL. Retrieved 27 October 2015, from http://californiarsol.org/2015/10/cdcr-withdraws-halloween-sign-requirement-statewide/

6 comments for “CDCR Withdraws Halloween Sign Requirement Statewide

1. charles
    October 27, 2015 at 11:14 am

Does anyone believe that Sex Offenders (SO) are to 21st century America what Frankenstein was to 18th century Switzerland? What Count Vlad, AKA, Dracula, was to 12th century Romania? What Witches were in the 13th, 14th & 15th centuries England and, also the Werewolf of 17th century England? In my opinion yes. Point is, the world has always had something or someone or some group it needed to hate to revile to destroy. And SOs are that group today. They are the modern day equivalent of Frankenstein, Dracula, Werewolf and Witches of old, lurking in dark shadows with blood shot eyes, sharp teeth, fang like fingers, slobbering, watching, waiting for an innocent child to steal away, then molest, then kill. And, according to your local media, local law enforcement and politicians, October 31th or on “All Hollows Eve”, SOs emerge from hidden places to commit such heinous acts. Never mind the nine months before this time SOs worked their jobs, took care of their families, attended church, school and generally pursued honest endeavors. But on October 31st or All Hollows Eve, this person suddenly goes mad, completely in sane with a thirst for blood, a child’s blood. Then miraculously on November 1st, the SO finds his sanity, goes back to working his job, to taking care of his family, to attending church, school and to generally pursue honest endeavors. Amazing!!!

• Mark
      October 27, 2015 at 5:11 pm

The irony is that Halloween is a holiday that celebrates monsters. You would think sex offenders would be celebrated on that day. In all seriousness, I couldn’t agree with you more Charles. It has been statistically shown that a child is more likely to be killed by a car on Halloween than hurt by a sex offender. Using this same kind of logic, we should prohibit all motorists from driving a car during trick-or-treat hours. These laws have no logic or sanity to them. They appeal to the hive mind.

October 27, 2015 at 2:07 pm

Way to go Charles, I couldn’t have said it better!

3. Anonymous
    October 27, 2015 at 5:17 pm

Is that what they refer to as being brutally honest??

4. Will Bassler
    October 27, 2015 at 7:35 pm

Some of you may remember a News Story last Halloween about a 90 year old lady (Ms. Weeks) in Alvarado, TX who was forced by the city of Alvarado to place a sign at her home on Halloween because her registered son lives on the property. As a matter of fact, in 2013, the city fined her 2000.oo because they said the sign was not “visible enough”

Looks like this year, Ms. Weeks will not have to put up that sign! Attorney Richard Gladden sent the city a letter informing the city that he would file a law suit against them if they require the sign. They caved and agreed not to require the sign ‘this year’.

Alvarado is a General Law city and they have illegally imposed residency restrictions as well. Note: Texas General Law cities are prohibited from imposing their own ordinances.

Go Richard Go and thank you for all your hard work!

5. Ladyhawk
    October 30, 2015 at 11:14 am

Ok…many of the refreshing comments I’ve found here with SOSEN are very encouraging, hopeful and to say the least, motivating to push forward even more. Here I add my “Horrifying trigger story of Halloween” Holiday??? I don’t think so. It hasn’t been for the 15 years our family has lived here in UT from CA. Why? Because the “ghosts” the “goblins,” ” the witches” and worse are the very ones who hide in the shadows preying, watching, waiting to pounce. At least that is the fear we have had to live with for a long time. Our horror story unfortunately is not make believe. It has not been any fun, just lots of “tricks and no treats.” Do we as a family have any fun? NO… (what is left of our family…once there were 15 of us, 3 adult children their spouses, and 7 grandchildren)… now we’re down to 3 of us). What happened? My 2 oldest children both ended up in divorce. My oldest had 5 children…(of which I have never been allowed to see because my husband is a registrant) My only son, severely depressed/disabled, & on medication is back living at home with us trying to survive. He can’t hold a job and has tried for years. Do I wonder if that has anything to do with the registry? I try daily not to go there with my thoughts too. Which nightmare haunts my son the most? That his father has to be a constant registrant of 25yrs ago? This past year, after the death of my father and 30 days later of our youngest daughter who had 2 small children, and was found deceased in her bedroom closet…her untimely death was VERY questionable and the investigation was extremely poor. The pain of this past year is difficult to describe, especially when it was finally ruled as suicide. Either way, it is questionable that the affects of the “registry” had nothing to do with this “nightmare”…Our family on both sides strongly felt this was not the truth anymore than what is put down on his records because of “Megans Law” (ex facto) labels that are not the truth. Because of $$$ & politics we are unable to have these wrongful codes/labels legally removed or corrected. So, in the mean time…we all still suffer. The law knew of my dear husband being on the registry. So did DCFS who immediately took our 2 grandchildren without contacting me, their next of kin. Her children were her world. They were our world. The foster parents who worked for the State were awarded our 2 precious grandchildren and after an 18 month painful custody battle legally adopted by them. We lost our grandchildren with no grandparent rights and because he was a registrant. I have had to accept them as 2 more deaths. The foster parents said because he (their legal grandfather) is a SO we could not ever see them. In the last year I personally have had to face a a lot of personal losses. Is it difficult for me to say these loses had nothing to do with the registry. Yes. Is it wrong for me to say my trust in the legal system is “paper-thin?” No. Sorry, but I do not like Halloween. It is not a fun time for me. It only triggers evil, lies, fears, and unrealistic the images it represents. It is not any fun to be scared. I have been living that emotion for a long time. Why would I try to create more? Yes… I am a family member, a wife affected by my loving husband/ex-SO of near 25yrs. We have been happily married for 37yrs. Now, I have been seriously researching and studying all I can. My story like many is unique, unbelievable and real. I hopefully will be able to become an active participant in helping to better educate the public, the media, the law-enforcement and legislators regarding the facts based on CURRENT research of sexual abuse. “One size DOES NOT FIT ALL.” What is true to me is true to me. Every individual situation should be treated individually. Everyone of us has a story. Each story needs to be heard and taken into specific considerations. None of us should be lumped into one bucket…My dream is to help get my dear wonderful husband off the registry and to be a teacher and prime example to others of what can be done. Of what should be done after someone has made a first time, never repeated mistake in their life. These laws should not judge others because their sins are different…To forgive and forget is an ageless counsel. “To be wronged or robbed,” said the Chinese philosopher Confucius, “is nothing unless you continue to remember it.”