The Fear Mongers

They’re at it again. The fear-mongers. They’ve come out and reared their ugliness after those horrific and barbaric acts in Paris. Now we are supposed to fear and loathe an entire group of fellow humans based on the actions of so very few. We RSOs should be sensitive to this. After all, we have been the victims of such fear-mongering for years. Where did this all begin and for what reasons?  I think the answer is quite obvious…Control of the masses.

I watched the most recent version of “Cosmos” with host Neil DeGrasse Tyson (one of my personal heroes). One episode in particular stood out for me. It dealt with Sirs Edmund Halley and Isaac Newton and was quite fascinating. What does those two scientists have to do with us RSOs? I shall tell you. When telling the history of Mr. Halley’s comet, Mr. Tyson spoke of how ancient civilizations had recorded the event of this extraordinary phenomenon several hundred years beforehand.  Each civilization that wrote of the comet’s appearance saw it as a prophecy of doom and gloom. Some took it as a sign of impending war. Others as drought or pestilence. I began to wonder if this is a natural human reaction to something unknown. No, I don’t think it is. Then I realized that these written histories were most likely not written by “the masses” but far more likely by the leaders. It was a way to control the behavior of the masses. (And also, I believe, the roots of all religion.)

As civilizations evolved, this has remained a handy tool for leaders to use. I need not cite history, neither recent nor ancient to make this point. It should be apparent to anyone and everyone. So please, do not let our leaders (or the media) tell us whom we need fear. It’s not the unknown. It’s not the refugees. It’s not we RSOs.
We have nothing to fear but the leaders themselves.

7 comments for “The Fear Mongers

1. Paul
    November 20, 2015 at 12:43 pm

When Trump suggested that there should be a “Muslim Registry”, my jaw dropped. And then there’s Carson who views Muslims as “rabbit dogs”. And these are the two leaders in the GOP primary for president??!! What is our country coming to? Obama says Islam is a peaceful religion and the jihadists don’t reflect the majority of Muslims and he’s vilified. And we wonder why the SOR isn’t going anywhere anytime soon?

• Alan Davis
      November 21, 2015 at 8:04 am

Just so it is evident that SOSEN is not trying to make political stands, I need to point out that Ben Carson did not say that Muslims are “rabid dogs”. This is only what the media claimed he said. I listened to his entire reply, and what he said was that “If a rabid dog was loose in your neighborhood, you wouldn’t let your children play outside until that dog was captured”. He then said that he was concerned about bringing 10,000 unvetted Syrian refugees into this country when it is now known that some of the ISIS terrorists that carried out the attacks in Paris came into France as Syrian refugees. He was simply expressing his concern that we might be allowing some terrorists direct access into our country. It is after all, the obligation of our federal government to protect the citizens of our country.

At this point, there are more than thirty state governors, both Republican and Democratic that are refusing to allow unvetted Syrian refugees into their states.

Let’s not make the SOSEN front page a place where we slam presidential candidates of either party.

• Paul
        November 21, 2015 at 9:14 am

My apologies, Alan. I obviously don’t speak for SOSEN. And I’m wasn’t trying to create a political debate. All I was saying is that there seems to be an anti-Muslim rhetoric in our society that makes me uncomfortable because we RSO’s experience this all the time. I still think that Carson could have chosen his words more carefully but I will refrain from mentioning specific political figures in the future.

November 20, 2015 at 4:24 pm

I can’t say we are any better off either way.
    We have allowed mosque and training camps in many states and nothing is being done. As the president is lobbying on allowing Syrians to enter this country, My only question is, what can we offer to the syrians that they don’t offer to the average american born citizen here in their own country?? What about the ever growing homeless people and the jobless?? Someone has to pay for all this.

They will soon find out where oppression will lead them soon enough. (Them Joy Robbers that they are)

3. Paul
    November 20, 2015 at 6:23 pm

To me this issue goes beyond the refugee crisis. We’re talking about prejudices that our leaders instill in us that are somewhat comparable to how RSO’s are treated. Spotless Mind’s article is well taken.

November 21, 2015 at 1:22 pm

I was waiting for someone to mention the comparison between RSO’s and the Syrian refugees. The parallels are obvious.

Hysteria is high in the USA over certain high-news-coverage topics. American people are easily led to focus on whatever the news media tells them to focus on and without getting into a political debate, it is important to consider who controls the media and why.