Why Not in other States

Free public libraries are fantastic!  Yesterday I discovered the New York Public Library publishes Connections, a *free* guide for the “formerly incarcerated.”  It’s a book – almost 300 pages of information and resources, “the most exhaustive reentry guidebook in NYC,” published annually in a print edition and available as a PDF file.

More info on the NYPL website:

Download a copy of the book here:

6 comments for “Why Not in other States

March 4, 2016 at 5:09 pm

My biggest question was that too.

I live in an area where their are quite a few churches and rehab centers none of which offer programs for those trying to re enter into society. I was told that most people who are released from prison don’t reside in the area as most prisoners are from another area. I still question though about those who are jailed locally in county jails.
    I have tried to start a re entry support group for SOs, but only to find out i cannot legally be the leader of the specific group because of priors and is required to have someone who is within the dept of corrections to oversee the group.

However i am still pursuing something biblical based as a support group for those of any background and all are welcome regardless of background. I am firm believer that we all fall short of the glory of God and the least we could do is be on the same page and help our fellowman during our times of hardship whether we are a victim or a victim of our own circumstances.

People should get real with themselves and understand we all can fall short at any given time when we least expect it. Never say Never.

2. kayt
    March 7, 2016 at 10:33 am

The problem about starting re-entry support groups for those who are coming from prison and especially from the SO world is that the laws are all about separation and control. I didn’t think about it until now but the support group that ran at the church I used to attend had a police officer involved; it must be because of all the “rules” of parole that control people when they come out.

I do think that there are support groups listed in the links on the Sosen front page, you might contact them to see how they did it if they don’t have some sort of police membership involved. I would contact other successful groups if I wanted to start one, not that I don’t want to help but I just don’t have the resources or the energy, with one being about as faded as the other.

So far as Christian groups, I am a Christian and so far as I can see most visible churches (the main-line churches that we see and know about openly) are controlled by people who are very not into being “Christian” enough to allow sex offenders into their church, sorry to say and I wonder what God thinks about that!

March 8, 2016 at 4:45 pm

Thanks Kayt, I appreciate your help and i will definitely check out the website here further.

I hear you Loud and Clear about people of the church and the main line churches. I am enduring that right now with the church i belong to. I always let them know they are not the only ones. I don’t think God is too happy about that as main line churches are on the decline. Faith without works is dead.

3. JERRY P
    March 9, 2016 at 11:51 am

KAYT I ENJOY READING ALL OF YOUR POSTS AND AGREE WITH ALMOST ALL! I’M A SO AND HAVE FOUND MORE UNFORGIVENESS WITH “CHURCH” FOLK THAN WITH NON-CHURCH FOLK. I’VE BEEN OUT OF PRISON FOR NINE YEARS AND AM GOING THROUGH THINGS I DID JUST DAYS AFTER BEING RELEASED. “PREACHERSS” HAVE TOLD ME STRAIGHT TO MY FACE THEY DIDN’T WANT ME THERE–BECAUSE I’M A CONVICTED SO. I’VE FOUND NC TO BE A HORRIBLE STATE TO LIVE IN…. AND MY SHERIFF MAKES EVERY OPPORTUNITY TO VOICE HIS IGNORANCE … MY REGARDS

March 9, 2016 at 4:49 pm

To Scott and Jerry. Wouldn’t it be nice if churches really were what they are supposed to be? But don’t forget, the crowds worshipped Jesus until he became convicted and then they turned on him in a heartbeat, then his disciples scattered fast and said they didn’t know him. So, if it happened to him it, I guess that says it all.

5. Michael
    April 15, 2016 at 3:38 pm

I am a SO and was released in 2013. I moved to a small town in South Carolina so that I would not be close to a lot of people because it was very rural. I tried 5 different church’s, going to the Pastor’s first and explaining what happened and that I was not the monster that society says I am. Most of the Pastors felt that what a church was here for was for hurting people and that they would have no problem, except they had to run it by the Church Council. Every single one of them turned me down, One a Baptist church had a SO there that I went to counseling with but since he grew up there he was accepted, I was not.

Fast forward to 2015 in December. I moved to a different state (Up North) to be closer to my family and found a nice Lutheran church and proceeded to talk with the Pastor. He did not have a problem and in fact only he knows that I am an SO. He is respectful and I enjoy the family atmosphere of a church again. I really feel blessed. I just wish that other churches would read their Bible and understand who Jesus associated with.