Police/ Compliance Check Survey

Dear registrant or loved one of a registrant,

Perhaps one of the most stressful experiences we face as those forced to register as “sex offenders” is having a uniformed member of law enforcement coming to your house to perform a “compliance check” or “address verification” operation. This survey is designed to gauge the experiences of registered citizens or their loved ones while subjected to one of these “random” compliance/ address checks. (For purposes of this survey, I prefer to use the term “registered citizens” or “registrants” as opposed to the term “registered sex offender.”)

QUALIFICATIONS: You must be either a registered citizen OR someone living with a registered citizen AND experienced an at-home or at-work compliance check at least once since being forced to register or, if you are the loved one of a registrant, have personally witnessed the check of the registrant. If you have NOT experienced an in-home or at-work compliance check, then DO NOT complete this survey.

If you have questions about this survey, contact me at iamthefallen1@yahoo.com

Derek W. Logue of OnceFallen.com

7 comments for “Police/ Compliance Check Survey

1. kayt
    April 12, 2016 at 9:52 am

I took the survey, I hope that it helps.

I asked and yes, we do have monthly compliance checks here (otherwise known as PO visits.) Those officers who do the compliance checks are not capable of compassion or caring about those whom they are assigned to check on. In a ten year period of time I have had ONE helpful remark from one of the officers and I promise you that it was not because he liked me. To this day I can’t figure out why he chose to “educate” me on a sly technique of another compliance check officer but he did and sure enough, he was 100% correct.

2. Paul
    April 13, 2016 at 3:34 pm

PO’s usually come out AT LEAST once a month. It’s interesting because for other parolees, it’s not unheard of for PO’s to go 4 to 5 months without a visit but that is hardly ever the case for an SO. Sometimes they came out twice a month and for some people, it’s not unheard of that they come out once a week. Total waste of taxpayer dollars or registrant dollars. Legalized harassment. Police or Marshals, in my experience, make bi-annual checks for address compliance. I realize for some other people the checks for registry compliance can be a lot more frequent than bi-annual.

3. kayt
    April 15, 2016 at 7:48 am

Well, who can hardly blame the parole officers, they are taught to think like traffic cops? They believe that sooner or later they are going to be able to arrest a registered citizen and get a notch in their belt. The problem is that they are spoon fed ignorance and hate, not at all unlike Hitler’s Germany.

I understand that these truths may be too “harsh” to publish in this section, if so – no apologies, but I can understand this post being removed.

4. Michael
    April 15, 2016 at 10:34 am

My PO comes out once a month and usually tells me a week in advance when she is coming. Just dont know the time, so I have to get up early and just sit around and wait. When she shows up, she comes into my home only about 3 ft., chats for a few minutes and then leaves. Never walks through the house or checks the refrigerator etc. When I lived in SC they walked the house to make sure no kids were present and even checked the closets and refrigerator. Here sheriffs department stops in twice a year just to verify and have me re-register here at the house.

• Paul
      April 16, 2016 at 12:19 pm

I’m never told in advance. That’s nice that she gives you a week’s notice.

5. Paul
    April 16, 2016 at 12:15 pm

This is something I am really curious about. Most of these guys have a “no shake hands” policy. Now don’t get me wrong, it’s not like I am dying to shake their hands, but do they feel they’re going to get an infectious disease from me? Am I that belief any level of basic human respect? Or is this a unique experience I have. Do other PO’s shake hands? I’m genuinely curious.

6. Tim Lawver
    April 26, 2016 at 5:56 am

Compliance check is not one of the aspects of SOR evaluated by SCOTUS in Smith V .Doe. Neither was the fee associated with registration.