An Old Idea from 2014 is Looking for a New Life!

The idea has been presented time and again to donate to some organization, a dollar or two from every person on the registry and possibly one or two other family members. If everyone donated the dollar, and other family members donated a dollar, that would total around 2 1/2 to $3 million. If each donation was five dollars it would be 15 million. Of course there are some of us that don’t have the money, and there are some of us, if we knew we were going to win would find some money. I realize that it’s hard for people to toss money at something that they don’t know if they’re going to win or not. Too many of us have dumped money into attorneys that have basically screwed us over, but I for one would be more than willing to throw $5 or $10, or even more, each month into the pot if the only way that the attorneys would get it would be if they were successful in eliminating the registry. (and I know for a fact I’m not the only one)

The problem is, what organization (they all seem to have their own individual agenda) and who would they hire for attorneys and what points would they try to make in their legal battle?

So in 2014 a idea was put forward that eliminates these problems but it opens a door a legal challenge to not only the sex offender registry, but ALL registries required by government for past misconduct or affiliations with groups or organizations. The question is, does anyone know how to set up some type of fund at a bank or know a attorney that would know how to do this and be willing to do the setup of it pro bono? I have a feeling with everything that’s going on today if there was a place created to store donations until the fund got large enough that this idea might have merit.
I offer up a new idea  . We don’t hire attorneys to fight this legal battle.    We make them compete for a challenge award prize. If they win the battle they get attorney fees, a portion of the damage’s and the challenge award money  No Winning — No Money

We set up a fund (money donated by registrants and their family members, possibly even businesses that are negatively impacted by the registry, even other groups that see the registry on the horizon for themselves) at some bank or in a trust. The money that is in that fund will be given to the legal group that meets the requirements. If at the end of a given time, say 7 to 10 years, no one has won the challenge and there are no cases pending that have the possibility of winning it , then the money plus interest is refunded it to the people who gave it.

One: The registry and community notification must be proven to be unconstitutional and entirely done away with in such a way that it cannot be wordsmithed by legislators and brought back against any group. For example it should be found as a bill of attainder or lesser pains and penalties

Two: Any type of legislative restrictions related to a criminal past must be found to be unconstitutional (residency restrictions, employment restrictions, travel restrictions etc.) and done away with in such a way that they can never be legislated again.  (no wordsmithing)

Three: Any type of government run or affiliated Internet website that puts forth information about criminal activity that is older than five years must be forced to remove the information.

Four: Every person who donates over a certain dollar amount, say $50, (not necessarily all at once but over a period of time say five dollars a month to the challenge funds would have their name on the lawsuit) either as a registered citizen or as a family member who was affected by the registry. That way the courts would be responsible for distributing the damages awarded. All participants would receive an equal share of the damages no matter how much they donate. (Some people can afford $50 and others can afford $1000 but the idea is to get rid of the registry.) In the event that no one wins the challenge award everyone would receive the amount of money plus interest that they had put into the fund.

Five: The lawsuit must be for damages and attorney fees. The attorneys can also receive up to 20% of the damages along with the challenge prize award . Anyone who participates in adding money to the fund will receive a portion of the damages, and the damages a must be more than a given dollar amount, say 20 million dollars. (I’m unsure about how high a dollar amount should be placed on this. Maybe 20 million is way too low because of the amount of collateral damage that has been done to registrants and their families)

Six:
In order to be eligible for the challenge award the legal organization must first register with the awards committee (made up of registrants and family members)  and lay out their initial strategy for the entire shutdown of all registries and how they feel that it will be permanently achieved. (All information provided by legal groups will be kept strictly confidential. so as not to jeopardize their possibility of winning!)

The time period to get the case before the United States Supreme Court would be set up at 4 to 6 years once the lawsuit is initiated so that the attorneys can’t sit on this waiting for the the contributions and interest on the funds to increase their challenge award.

Everyone needs to realize that any type of crime or situation at some point in the future could be used to create a forced registry with the justification of public safety. Now domestic violence and animal abuse registries are on the horizon. In the near future registries for any type of mental illness, or diseases such as AIDS, as well as DWI, DUI could easily be added.  Some people if they could have their way would establish a registry for gay people, or people of other religions. Another possibility is because of the amount of veterans that are coming back from war zones with PTSD that could be considered dangerous there may be a need for a registry for certain veterans. The list of reasons for having a registry and forcing groups of people to have to be on it for the safety of society goes on and on, and in almost every case the re-offense rate for other registry type situations or crimes is way higher than people on the sex offender registry.

Remember were not talking about just the sex offender registry, we are talking about stopping ALL registries required by governments based on past misconducts or affiliations with groups or organizations, now and in the future. If we go on that premise, we may be able to get other groups and organizations to get on board with stopping all possible registries.

19 comments for “An Old Idea from 2014 is Looking for a New Life!

May 24, 2017 at 3:21 am

The biggest challenge is finding a lawyer who will take this on without bias and nit picking.

2. Mallory Park
    May 25, 2017 at 6:55 am

All registries? All?? Voters’ registration? school and college registration? drivers’ licensing?
    conferences and conventions? Really?

• Will Bassler
      May 25, 2017 at 11:00 am

The registries that are talked about within the article are registries that are aimed by the government at selected groups that are unjustifiable and violate the constitutional premises in our Republic’s Constitution. having to have a drivers license or register your car does not damage a person’s reputation. Which by the way I would point out that a persons reputation is a protected liberty interest and there is case law to prove that. whereas the sex offender registry is based on the assumption of a high re-offense rate where there is none. (People on the registry have a re-offense rate of less than 1%) and being placed on the registry and community notification damages a person’s reputation in the community.

• Mallory Park
        May 25, 2017 at 5:53 pm

This is the last paragraph. I was simply going by what it says.

“Remember were not talking about just the sex offender registry, we are talking about stopping ALL registries, now and in the future. If we go on that premise, we may be able to get other groups and organizations to get on board with stopping all possible registries.”

• Mallory Park
        May 25, 2017 at 5:54 pm

You may want to reread the last paragraph of your argument. I was simply going by what it says.

• Will Bassler
          May 26, 2017 at 8:08 am

I urged Robert to make changes in his article which he has done that should take care of the confusion. but I must say that this nitpicking is counterproductive taking the last paragraph of the article and not taking it in context to the rest of the article is exactly the same thing that treatment providers, legislators and victims advocates did with one sentence that was in the Furby Weinraub and Blackshaw study from the 1980s the study was done to see the effectiveness of treatment programs based on behavior modification and in the study’s conclusion the authors made two statements an example of how things are taken out of context comes from the state funded study for the legislators in Oregon, sex offenders in Oregon by Monica Morgan, M. S. The Furby study was quoted as stating “there is as yet no evidence that clinical treatment reduces the rate of sex offense” Furby. and her colleagues next sentence was omitted from the state report where they stated “the reoffend to rate of treated offenders is not lower than that for untreated offenders, if anything it tends to be extremely higher”.

the entire study was about if treatment was effective in reducing recidivism. nowhere in this study did they say that offenders were untreatable what they said was there was no effective behavior modification treatment that reduce recidivism. but by taking one sentence and removing the following sentence it that made it appear that they were saying that people with sex crimes are untreatable which is the exact opposite of what the study showed.

• jerry
      June 14, 2017 at 5:55 pm

unconstitutional registries Mallory Park!

3. mike r
    May 25, 2017 at 3:55 pm

I really don’t understand why the reputation issue has not been raised more than what it has since as will states it’s already been determined it is a fundamental right that is being violated by being on the registry..it’s inexcusable…

4. Dodge
    May 25, 2017 at 7:38 pm

Quite an interesting idea .
    How to spread the word .?
    So many have already given up the fight after years and years of
    everyone ( including SCOTUS ) knowing it is absolutely unconstitutional ,
    it still exists . And it continues to worsen every congressional session.
    If you could truly prove the funds would not simply be used up on administrative
    and collection labor costs that would help .
    Good idea , but the HOW is the problem .
    We do know how to contact every offender on the list . I imagine it would be rather costly
    in just doing that .

5. KayT
    May 26, 2017 at 7:27 am

I could say a lot about this but to make it short and simple, I don’t think that many people who have tangled with the law in any form have much trust and I don’t think the general public has much trust anyway. People have a problem with donating money to any cause.

Not only that, there are many people out there without much at all and the money that they do have really does add up. The mentality is that every single dollar adds up and is really hard to let go of. Add that to the paranoia of people and the law (lumping all arms of the law, attorneys, parole officers and such) and a very long list of sneaky vigilantes, I’m reading that most of these people do not answer letters or open doors to anyone, and mistrust even the people whom they have known for years.

Now, how are we going to convince these people to let go of a dollar or two a month? If it’s possible I’d like to know how to do that.

Oh, and let me PS to that: I have read of great ideas like writing a book of poems, someone here in this forum tried to get us to send them to him. I know that it’s really easy to write off a poem or even a statement or two to put in a book. So, why didn’t we do it? I look back and wonder why I didn’t do it, I’ve got poems written from years ago, and I could write one in five minutes. I’m just wondering why I didn’t and I wonder why nobody else tries either? Is it because we get so pushed down that we ignore everything except the daily grind because we give up?

Idea:
    About poems and short statements: Could we have a slot in the hobbies section and add to it whenever we feel like it. The moderator might be a person who is interested in writing that poetry book for Sosen donations to use for help for those people out there that need it. I wonder if that would fly? Oh, and artists pictures too for illustrations although I know that we can’t upload many pictures, but we could find a way to do this if it means anything to enough people.

6. mike r
    May 26, 2017 at 2:52 pm

yeah its sad that we can’t all pull together and make something happen. I’ve spent hundreds of hours drafting a motion and setting up a web page and starting a gofundme page and it’s like pulling teeth to even get my own family members and friends to look at it let alone donate. I guess it doesn’t really matter to most people and as long as that’s the case then nothings going to change.I really wish someone would either use my motion as a foundation for their own or help get it to court. At least read it thoroughly and make suggestions or comments. Here’s a link
    it took a lot of work to get there and god willing I am going to get it in court…

May 27, 2017 at 5:38 am

I did look at your go fund page. Why not say honor the Bible AND the Constitution?

I’ve heard or read lots of negatives about go fund me pages. Could that be part of the problem? I’m just saying

8. mike r
    May 27, 2017 at 4:33 pm

could be kayt. Thanks for reading it..

9. :Patricia Davis, MBA/PH
    May 28, 2017 at 3:12 am

We all know that finding an attorney to take on this endeavor is near impossible. Political and professional suicide. The issue is the law and to change that we need to reach the hearts and minds of the people….which is what you are doing. I am currently working on several issues concerning my son who is an SO and was driven to desperation in order to survive. He was caught trying to walk out of a store with merchandise that he did not pay for on top of…on top of…on top of…it seems no matter which way he turns or what he tried to do he is back in jail. I did not realize how dire his situation was and do not have a lot of money, but here we are. I don’t know if I want you to post this or not, but what I would like is to see if I can call upon you to assist me in developing and conducting studies on SOs, and the issues they face once they have been released, the rate of recidivism for each “classification level” as well as other issues that I am not currently aware of…from there a PR awareness campaign can be developed and alliances formed with other SO groups. I am well aware of the push back that taking these actions will incur…so we will have to provide an equitable and just alternative to the current system. I am not even sure where I should begin and perhaps you can help me with that.

• Anonymous #2
      May 28, 2017 at 3:12 pm

Patricia:

If you are looking for help, Sosen is the place to be. There is information on everything from posts of personal interest, problems, to laws and those who can help, or not. There is information on other groups and meetings both within states and nationally. It would take weeks, or possibly forever to read through all of the information that is in the Sosen forum.

For your son and for you – remember that knowledge is power.

10. Flossy73
    May 28, 2017 at 2:37 pm

I think it’s a great idea

11. Matthew McCarthy
    May 28, 2017 at 7:31 pm

I would love the idea! Email me at m.mccarthy@email.com if you ever do get something setup. I would love to donate or help organize.

12. jerry t
    June 1, 2017 at 12:32 pm

same here. i would donate also. i think first and foremost we need to concentrate all efforts on this monolithic sex registry. once you do that any other registry would fall like a house of cards. sex offense registry first. now where do we contribute?

13. Phys Ed
    June 7, 2017 at 12:00 pm

Count me in on this. I will donate fifty a month if something legit is set up. De Jure Bills of Attainder are prohibited by our constitution, but all the horrors visited on our population of RSOs amount to far worse than a De Facto bill of attainder. What does one call it when your first, second, fourth, fifth, sixth, thirteenth, and fourteenth amendments are violated? Isn’t that also a prima facie case for violation of the Eighth?

How about when a non-contact offense is legislated by state governments into a contact one, even with no identifiable victim (excepting the convicted) simply based on the universally adopted life time supervision/registration sentence-even if your offense happened to be taking a public leak when you thought no one was looking!