Combat Veteran motivation

Each day I find myself being confronted with different groups of people suffering from the fact that they are on the registry. The registry, in turn, seems to cause a lot of imaginary issues as far as I’m concerned, but others perceive them as being potentially life-ending problems. These problems are normally headed up by the constant “I can’t find a job” or “it’s hard to find somewhere to live”. Then broken down further when people say, “I can’t get a job because I don’t possess the skills, and I cannot go to school for the skills because of the registry”. The answer to all of this is very simple, you’re not trying hard enough. You have chosen to quit and not succeed, to sit down on the sidelines of the path to greatness, and to listen to others when they dictate your life.

I am an American Heathen, I am a two tour military combat veteran, I am a registered citizen, but I am NOT a failure. I have never sat down on the sidelines nor have I allowed the registry to dictate how I will live my life. Since day one of becoming registered I have fought for my spot in the limelight of victory. You may think that I haven’t or couldn’t walk a mile in your shoes, but I promise you that I have walked the paths that all others have failed to start. I came home from combat with nowhere to call home and two bullet holes in my body. Three days later I had not one but two jobs, fighting alcoholism and PTSD I survived two years before deciding that I needed to learn a skill beyond being infantry. I left for Florida and enrolled in tech school to become a manufacturer certified motorcycle technician. Through those two years, I maintained being on the director’s list and a peer tutor to anyone in the school. Two years later I found myself under the thumb of a corrupt legal system and on the registry. I then spent the next two years fighting tooth and nail with Probation and Parole to maintain my freedom and sanity, through fire and adversity I walked out my two years all while continuing to work multiple jobs at once.

Finding employment has nothing to do with being on the registry, it has everything to do with not stopping until you find work. If not having a certain skill set stands between you and that job then learn it. If higher education is what it takes then seek it out just as I did. I had to go in front of a cities school board and explain my criminal background before being allowed to go to college. In that two years of college, I worked odd end jobs to maintain my rent being paid. After completing my two-year degree, I learned that I had been on Dean’s list for the entirety of those two years. Beyond that, I have continued to work two full-time jobs as well as help, inspire and motivate all of those around me.

I refuse to quit, back down or slow down. I will not stop because the sky isn’t high enough. I have found myself rebuilding my life twice in thirty years, but I still have never stopped. People ask me how I do it and my reply is always simple, “never stop, never $*@#()$! stop”. I challenge anyone reading this to get up, get on your path to greatness, be great, be strong, and don’t ever stop climbing the hill. Living in fear will get you nowhere except where doubters want you. Living with self-pity and woe will get you nowhere except on the path to depression or worse. Living in laziness while expecting handouts from government ran funding programs will get you nowhere except a lifeless existence. If you need the motivation to get up and climb then I am here to motivate, but don’t cry in my direction because you think the registry is to blame for your problems in life when the root of it all is that you are not pushing hard enough to win.

16 comments for “Combat Veteran motivation

1. TimL
    November 24, 2017 at 11:16 pm

It may all hinge on perceptions of “success”, ” greatness ” or ” failure “.

• Scott Roberson
      November 25, 2017 at 11:43 am

That’s true. Each person has their own perception of whatever greatness that choose to go towards in life. The basis is however is to not sit and become stagnant in life and wallow in self-pity because everything hinders you.

2. Flossy73
    November 26, 2017 at 8:38 am

I agree with you 100%. I too went back to school and worked consistently at several jobs and put in my time as a volunteer as well. I maintained my marriage, continued to be a good mother and I have humbly welcomed every opportunity to learn from others and from my past. I have always maintained that I am intensely proud of my life as a whole and I simply don’t accept that I am broken or a waste or a monster. I now have a full time job in criminal justice reform and I’m really excited about the rest of my life. Do I carry some ill-will for the system that makes my life (and my family’s lives) much harder than it needs to be? Sure, but I keep those feelings in-check. Everyday I deal with a reality that is bound and determined to strip me of my dignity. I have found the best way to combat that is to live a dignified life. There’s no law against us bustin’ our a$$. And I promise that when others start to see you working hard, against the odds, they will come to respect you. Once you gain some self respect and realize that others are capable of respecting you, everything changes. The jobs will come, the new friends will come and your future will start to reveal itself.

3. mike r
    November 27, 2017 at 12:04 pm

Agreed, although difficult at times, and almost unbearable at others, don’t give up, give in, or or become complacent in your personal fight. I to have been through helllll all my life pretty much. born to a mother who sold drugs and ride with bikers to a dad who was an alcoholic and said he didn’t want anything to-do with me or my sister when we were in our very early teens. I fought back, quit school a d bought my first car, my own clothes which was a main reason I quit school because I was unbearably embarrassed by having to wear hand me downs from my two older brothers, started layibg rent to my freinds mom, and have never looked back.I had my baby boy when I was 27 and started to turn my life around. It took me until I was 32just to get mu drivers license and at 36 I was finally making a decent living in an incredibly rewarding job when I made my mistake. I will continue later, I really want this out there for others to see and maybe change someones perceptions on life….

• mike r
      November 27, 2017 at 12:12 pm

I have my college classes at 12:30 so I have to stop for now….Calculus, Natural resources, English 301, and Soc 300 this semester. Really crazy for my old, drug riddled brain, I just turned 50 on the third been off drugs ever since 2006 12 of April…

• Scott Roberson
        November 28, 2017 at 5:40 pm

Congratulations on all the accomplishments in your life. If you read through the older front page articles you will find many that I have written. On top of everything I do, I also spend a great deal of time motivating veterans in my community and beyond.

4. mike r
    November 27, 2017 at 12:35 pm

Oh, and I was just inducted into the honor society last week with a 3.5 gpa….We all have our own stories and I have told mine before, but my newest revelations are incredibly powerful….

5. mike r
    November 27, 2017 at 12:37 pm

These are really powerful post, I think I will at some point document all these stories from some great American patriots….

6. mike r
    November 29, 2017 at 8:51 pm

I have posted the docs on my webpage, gofile didn’t seem to want to work, so ya, here’s the link again.
    Although I know a motion for summary judgement by default for not answering my complaint completely will fail, I think I will file it anyways and claim that the court should grant me summary judgement on the issues the AG did not seem to want to address, 1-5. Or order them to answer or show cause why they haven’t or wont. To me this seems like a blatant due process violation if they intend to argue any points on any of the other issues simply because they are not treating me the same as a qualified attorney by not answering every claim and they are trying to subvert justice by hobbling me even more then I already am by not providing me with what arguments they are going to bring against those other claims thereby denying me my ability to prepare a proper response when we go in for the hearing. I am thinking about adding in the motion that I am already at a disadvantage since I am not a legal expert and have no formal training or experience in these types of fields and settings. The AG reps. are seasoned, skilled, experienced attorneys with unlimited resources at their disposal so in order for me to have any resemblance of a fair due process I at the very least need to be a able to prepare a response to whatever arguments they want to bring in court…..Without this fair process and with the AG trying to subvert justice, already, I should be granted summary judgement or have the court order the AG to properly respond…What do you think? Read their responses on my site and let me know what you guys think……

I will finish my story later but check this out in the mean time…..

7. kayt
    November 30, 2017 at 1:40 pm

Our work is a passion
    nothing more
    and nothing less
    if we lose our vision
    we are lost

With a thousand talents and many skills
    I turn the page
    If I settle on a life of change
    to what end would that be

if I say goodbye to my first love and find another
    will my life be better
    or should I stay where I am
    to find another day
    another heartache
    another way of seeing
    life

I see another way of life
    I change with it or for it
    and paint a picture with lies
    I say my first love was song

8. kayt
    November 30, 2017 at 9:45 pm

Hint: I wanted to be a singer, but the truth is that I can’t sing, and practice just doesn’t cut it. I’ve been trying to sing since about the age of two.

So, my first love is song but what is song if it’s not music and words, life situations painted with exaggerations and lies? I am a musician and I can even draw and paint when I have the time and inspiration. I have learned that words, painting, drawing and music are all so open to interpretation and so full of exaggerations of one type or another. My lie, your truth? Something like that.

There are three things that have made it necessary to change directions in my life; my age, vigilantes and the lack of money. These most unwelcome forces are nearly paralyzing, and it would be so much easier to give up than to move forward. But, I have goals and I want to own a little farm, so I must figure out how to use my passions and practice up on the skills that life has given me. Forget age, forget vigilantes and forget being poor!

I’m writing this note because I thought that my story might help someone figure out how life’s problems have pushed them into change just to use the skills that they are given in life. I’m writing every day and I hope to become better and more creative. My favorite author is Stephen King and his writings are my inspiration. I can hope!

9. Chris
    December 2, 2017 at 7:07 pm

I’m with you Scott, 10 year Navy vet, 4 tours in the Gulf and numerous other deployments. Just transferred from our local CC to a regular 4-year school to finish my degree. Luckily the wife makes almost enough to meet all our needs, but I get to use my VA school money and grants to cover the rest and do what I can. It’s hard being a stay-at-home Dad and a full time college student! Have three kids and the wife’s schedule changes, but hope to someday be able to work too when the 2 year old gets to school finally. Good luck to you!

• Scott Roberson
      December 8, 2017 at 4:36 pm

Chris, there are always things that you can do from home and earn at least a small salary. Such as small engine repair in the garage or even sharpening lawnmower blades or chainsaw chains. I’ve done it all to make ends meet. I even found a time when I had began to refinish small pieces of hardwood furniture in my extra room for local customers.

10. Paul Herman
    December 6, 2017 at 8:58 pm

I am a RSO, as well. When I was in Prison, all I heard was how hard it was to get housing & get a job. Everyone said that the prison system was a revolving door, & I would be back, with-in 90 days!

Yes! You have to Never give up, & Fight for everything your worth. Unfortunately many RSO’s don’t have any self-worth, either because they never had it, or because they are so broken that they no longer have it in them?
    I am where I am today because, I am a fighter, & because I have alot of self worth. But mostly, I wish to piss-off as many people as I can, because of my accomplishments as a RSO.
    When I was released from prison in 2009, I had nothing but the clothes on my back, & 80.00 dollars in my pocket. No family, & No friends.

At one point I was pretty damb sure I was going back to prison with in that 90 day tyme frame. But, I never gave up, & I was given a lucky break. Someone was willing to give me a chance to prove I was better then the man I was!
    I have been out 8 years, & I am still grateful for the help I received from other’s, because with out it, I wouldnt be where I am today!

• Scott Roberson
      December 8, 2017 at 4:34 pm

Paul, you hit the nail on the head with “piss off as many people as I can with my accomplishments as a RSO”. That’s the best thing. When people doubt you, fly passed them with the wings of an eagle my friend.

11. kayt
    December 7, 2017 at 11:55 am

Paul Herman: A good story there, Congratulations! I like th”But mostly, I wish to piss-off as many people as I can, because of my accomplishments as a RSO.” If that doesn’t give us motivation, nothing will!