News Alert from NARSOL

I received a news alert from NARSOL today and I think it is important enough that we should share it with as many people as possible. Normally I post part of the information and a link to the other organization. This time I’m going to post all of what I received as well as their Links. If you want to change the registry now is the time to step up and have your voices heard in a meaningful way. I’ve talked to literally hundreds of registered citizens and their family members in the past few years and I’ve heard the horror stories. Now it’s time for those stories to be put before the court’s so that the judiciary understands that the registry is a form of punishment. if you want or need more information I suggest that you go to the NARSOL site https://narsol.org

WE NEED YOUR IMMEDIATE ATTENTION! This U.S. Supreme Court petition could have enormous impact in how the Court applies ex post facto to sex offender registries.

A couple of years ago, NCRSOL reached out for testimonial shorts (a few relevant paragraphs) about the ways social media restrictions affect the lives of registered people. We received a lot of good responses, and several of them were used by Prof. John Korzen in the brief NARSOL submitted supporting the petitioner in Packingham v. North Carolina.

Recently, NCRSOL and NARSOL were approached by Emory University Law School’s Supreme Court Advocacy Program (ELSSCAP) seeking pro-bono clients for a case out of North Carolina with a pending petition for certiorari before the United States Supreme Court.

NCRSOL and NARSOL have agreed to Emory University’s request and will be filing an amicus brief in the Bethea case in early October.

We are again in need of personal testimony statements. This brief will focus mostly on the types of harm people face as a consequence of being placed on the state’s sex offender registry. Issues related to employment, schooling, harassment, access to religious services, and any other harm that is directly attributable to one’s existence on the registry are what we are after.

We do not need (and are not asking for) a bill of complaints, generally speaking. In other words, if you would like to contribute to this effort, be sure to express your words in ways that demonstrate actual harm or extremely hurtful situations that can be tied directly back to the cause of registration. If you were, for example, denied admission to an emergency shelter due to being on the registry, that would be a powerful statement.

The case is styled In Re: Anthony Rayshon Bethea and was last considered by the N.C. Court of Appeals which published its final judgment on October 3, 2017. The case was subsequently appealed to the N.C. Supreme Court, which declined to consider it.

At issue in this case is the retroactive application of federal sex offender registration standards in violation of the ex post facto clauses of both the federal and North Carolina constitutions. In deciding the matter, a panel of the N.C. Court of Appeals unanimously held that there was no ex post facto violation because the N.C. Legislature never intended for the sex offender registry to be punitive and that the effects of the law are not punitive.

In light of the U.S. Supreme Court’s more recent refusals to accept petitions from Michigan and Pennsylvania in cases where an opposite conclusion was reached, this case appears to have some merit. It has attracted the attention of a group of legal academics coordinated by Prof. Ira Ellman, who is well known for his 2015 law review article, “Frightening and High”: The Supreme Court’s Crucial Mistake About Sex Crime Statistics.

Attorney Glenn Gerding (North Carolina Appellate Defender) is involved with the Bethea case, and Atty. Jim Grant, one of his Assistant Defenders, is representing the defendant. Glenn was responsible for representing Lester Packingham at trial and throughout the state appellate process that would inevitably end up at the nation’s highest court where, to the shock of some, a unanimous bench struck down North Carolina’s law prohibiting registered people from accessing social media.

Again, what is needed from you are statements about the specific types of harm that you have faced as a consequence of being placed on the state’s sex offender registry.

If you, or someone you know, is currently ON the registry and would like to participate, please email me directly at rwvnral@ncrsol.org. If your testimonial is considered for inclusion in the brief, your full name will not be used in the brief submitted for the Court’s review. I’m looking forward to your responses.

Robin Vander Wall

NARSOL does not in any way condone sexual activity between adults and children, nor does it condone any sexual activity that would break laws in any state. We do not advocate lowering the age of consent, and we have no affiliation with any group that does condone such activities.

Copyright © 2018 NARSOL All rights reserved.

Follow us on Twitter | Find us on Facebook

NARSOL

P.O. Box 36123
Albuquerque, NM 87176
United States
Website: https://narsol.org
E-Mail: contact@narsol.org
Phone: (888) 997-7765

8 comments for “News Alert from NARSOL

September 22, 2018 at 8:11 pm

Complaints?
    What about things that we don’t try because we are told it is impossible. Such a renting or buying a reasonably priced house through HUD, or not being able to get a job so a person doesn’t even try anymore? These are complaints but they are real.

There are tons of things that happen every day but often the discrimination can’t be proved.

There are also other things such as going to schools, hospitals, Disney. What about all of the stories we’ve heard such a the man who won a trip and then got it declined?

What about all of the people who are not using computers to read the letter above? How are they going to be reached?

September 26, 2018 at 9:37 am

I agree!

Yes i have been denied jobs through temp agencies due to my conviction, but mostly because they claim it’s the clients they hire for who have policies about hiring anyone with a violent crime. My only question is, when will i be able to actually get a chance from a 20 year conviction?? *Housing sex offenders through HUD is a Federal law that was prohibited.* I was living with my mom as i was facing homelessness and my mother ended up losing her HUD because i was living their.

Buying a home or renting is hard to do when you are listed on the registry and neighbors are notified via apps that tell communities when an offender is moving IN or is moving OUT. I would like to know how many offenders are actually homeless due to denial of renting or housing VS those who are homeless due to their own choosing because some don’t know any other way to live because they were stuck in the situation sooo loong. I have been involved in prison ministry in the past and i have heard and seen some real horror stories of how communities are towards offenders. Even i have been through the gambit. Trust is the major issue due to the mentality the general public is fed that offenders are not curable and are dangerous. I have been in many public places in my community watching people in frantic shooing their kids away from me or any other male subject.

The bigger part of offenders being on social media is from what i was told in the hands of the social media policies or at the owners discretion as to whether or not they choose to shut down their account. Some states share the offenders email with social media sites for content and monitoring.

• LJ77
      September 28, 2018 at 9:31 am

Here here! Thanks for another great post KayT. Well friends how about this one. A man comes to my property and identified himself as a board member of the POA and a director of the snow removal board as well as a board member of the local water company. He said he gathers the information on property owners to keep a database to update locals on POA and other entity activities and votes. I of course cooperated and informed the man I am a registered citizen on parole. The man then illegally without my consent disseminated my information to other POA members and in league they called the County, my PO and even the realtor my son is purchasing the neighboring property through. All in a conspiracy to force me off my property because I am a registered citizen. Claiming I am violating County laws by living in an RV on my property they use this in a Colour of Law fashion to suppress my rights to secure my property and secure myself and property against illegal search and seizure. Siezure? Yes because the County seeks to encumber my property and have me removed as a result of the actions of these people. They have also tried to thwart my son’s purchase which violated his right to secure property. Not only that but our basic rights uninaleienable rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. For two days in a row this group has assembled as a mob on the main road at my property boundaries to try and intimidate me. I served the main culpret a Mr. Kurt Wendelyn with a Federal Form COL yesterday and the mob assembled without his presence today. Today I was able to get them on video and confront them. Here is a link you can download https://drive.google.com/file/d/1232tYSHGtkDOgumGytaj_tYnwx0zN0_h/view?usp=drivesdk
      I need help from anyone who can help me to provide a brief to the attorney general for the State of California as I have difficulty writing or typing for very long due to my Parkinson’s. I think I also need to file in federal court against these individuals and the county of Tulare. If so and anyone would organize a demonstration to pressure the Court to act it would help me and anyone who suffers this in the future. Basically these folks are using the registry and my status as a registered citizen to harass and intimidate me. Please contact me in the members messages. Thanks

September 26, 2018 at 2:32 pm

When the landlord found out about Sam, she called the welfare because she knew I was on HUD. Welfare opened up an investigation. When I told the welfare that he had a motel type room that was costing us around $700.00/month and THEY were paying for, she checked her computer and ID’s right there. Took her two minutes and she said, “This case is closed!” Thank you Ms. and goodbye! The Parole agents would not let Sam live with us because we had a minor child. It was a no-victim internet conversational sting. They explain that they just couldn’t have a bunch of little children running around. I was so happy when our son turned age 18.

But living in separate apartments cost a fortune and many people can’t manage it. There were so many other losses too and I have totaled them up to date, the costs add up to about $150,000.

And if the public out there believes that a conversation on the net, just talking can’t get a person arrested, they should think twice about that, because it can. The point is, never, never, never converse with someone whom you don’t know and do not talk about anything sexual, even if they coax, because they do coax and then they change the age at the last minute. Don’t believe that? It’s not a good idea to try it just to find out, that’s for sure!

Am I angry? You bet I am, but I figure that there’s a reason for everything and God will deal with oppressors. If I did not believe that, I wouldn’t have been able to manage life at all.

September 27, 2018 at 7:55 am

Those oppressors in my book are just jealous and vindictive. Just when you think you have a leg up, they like to trip you by pulling the carpet out from underneath you. Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. They dont have to like you or like what you did, as most of us don’t, but everhbody deserves respect and dignity no matter the person or what they did. A lot people this day and age get stuck in their feelings. We can be offended by a persons actions, but we dont have to stay their (Offended) either.

3. Caring
    September 28, 2018 at 6:57 am

I am the fiancee of a registrant who is not on the public website and he is not on Parole or Probation. Still, we had the Sheriff’s department come to our place twice in one year, doing their illegal compliance check. We are under no obligation to open the door or answer any questions, but that only made them bang on the door more loudly, yelling Sheriff’s department. They went so far as to look over our patio enclosure to look inside our living room. I felt harassed, and I am not even on the registry. The registry punishes not only the actual registrant, years after conviction, but also their family members. The whole thing needs to be taken down. The sooner the better.

October 2, 2018 at 6:08 pm

Please don’t forget! If they will do this to registered citizens, Don’t think it won’t happen to anyone else. Just look at the real ID and what could follow along with RFID chips. YUP we’re getting their.

5. October 30, 2018 at 8:26 am

Since when did anyone start listening? Too much to speak of, I’ve tried, and have gotten nowhere. Due to the politics involved with literally everything, good luck! This site is likely here to make you FEEL HEARD. The things that are said, the things that are done, to keep you feeling the way you do.
    I truly hope the best for any good hearted offender out there as well as their family, you know WHO you are, don’t let them make you forget it. Because of the registry, this is my view, I’m homeless and alone, just how they like it.