The Concern for the Damage the Registry does to Young Offenders.

Recently there has been major concern over youth being placed on the sex offender registry and a number of articles, not to mention some legislative attempts at change (such as Nebraska legislative bill 689), have been put forth to remove young people from the registry. The reason for this move is pointed out in articles such as  ( http://jjie.org/2018/01/08/young-sex-offenders-shouldnt-have-to-register-its-ineffective-and-hurts-everyone-around-them/ ). The problem with articles such as these is they do not take into account the even more innocent victims of the sex offender registry, the children and families of adults that are on the registry. The same amount of damage that happens to these young people that they are attempting to help by removing them from the registry is happening to the adults as well as their families and their children. This is because, let’s face it, the registry is on its face and in actuality is punishment.

Whereas our legislators have chosen a politically disfavored group and chose to heap all kinds of extra rules, requirements and restrictions, which are in fact punishments on that group. Even though this group has the lowest re-offense rate of any criminal class, that is less than 1%.  This in direct violation of our Republic’s Constitution. The registry laws violates the 14th amendment equal protection and due process, the fourth amendments right to privacy, and of course Art. I § 9, cl. 3 that reads “No bill of attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed.” Art. I § 10, cl. 1 adds “No state shall … pass any bill of attainder… Because of the recent focus on the attempt to remove young people from the damages of the registry, I think it is time that I republish the below article from over a year ago. (Note: The 752,000 number that is used in the article is no longer valid, it is now closer to 900,000 and that means that the number of children affected is greater than the article reflects)

Government Sanctioned Cruelty to over half a Million American Children.

As strange as it may seem there are many disfranchise or second-class citizens in the United States and many of those American citizens have children that look to them for not only food and shelter, but emotional and moral support. At the present time government sanctions are undermining a group of second-class citizens ability not only to provide the emotional support, but the food and shelter as well.

This can’t happen in America, you say, but at the present time there are over an estimated 752,000 people in the United States that are similarly situated in that they have found their children mentally emotionally and physically attacked because of government policies. I recognize that not every person of that 752,000 has a child, but I also know from my own experience that many of them do have multiple children.For the sake of argument let’s say that each one of these people has at least one child of their own, or a stepchild, grandchild, niece or nephew, not to mention spouses, parents, brothers and sisters aunts and uncles. At the present time the estimate is well over 2.5 million people affected by government interference.

At the present time many studies have shown that the damage to this group of individuals is substantial and ongoing. To give you an idea, in a recent study done by Jill Levenson the family impact study (http://www.opd.ohio.gov/AWA_Information/AW_levenson_family_impact_study.pdf ) it was found that 47% of this groups children have been harassed ,59% have been ridiculed by others, 22% have been physically attacked, 65% feel left out and lonely, 77% suffer from depression, 63% suffer from fear, 73% suffer from anxiety, 13% have suicidal tendencies and 80% have anger issues related to government sanctions against their parents.

I realize that these percentages don’t make a lot of sense so let’s get down to the real numbers 352,500 children have been harassed, 442,500 children have been ridiculed, 156,000 children have been physically attacked, 487,500 children feel left out and lonely, 577,500 suffer from depression, 472,500 suffer from fear, 547,500 suffer from anxiety, 97,500 children have suicidal tendencies and over 600,000 children have anger issues.

Many of that 752,000 group have been forced from their homes, some have been denied jobs and some have been forced to separate from their families. Many of this group are also young people who have been forced into homelessness because they have been denied the right to live with their parents because of city and state segregation type sanctions placed against them.

At this point I understand your confusion, what is this group of people that this suffering so badly within the United States and why haven’t you heard about them. If you’re a member of the civil rights group you can see the need for someone to stand up and speak out for these people and their families, and the groups that do this will find a large influx of members and money. But sadly, as it was during the 1930s, as Hitler’s regime was starting to take power In Germany and singling out disfavored groups, most people and groups will choose the cowardly way out and will turn a blind eye to this type of discrimination. Others will use bigotry and false information to justify their actions as Americans did against The Japanese-Americans during World War II.

To find these people you have no further to look than your state sex offender registry. Let’s  put one myth to rest immediately, people who have been caught in registrable offenses reoffend at less than 1%,  again since percentages can be misleading lets put it into real numbers. We know that the media plays a sex offender card any time somebody is involved in a media story If a person is on the registry, no matter that they are the victim in a car accident or a victim of a home invasion, it is always pointed out that they are on the registry, but how many times a month does somebody on the registry actually reoffend in a new sex crime. Strange with the media keeping such close tabs on registered citizens and strange that a person on the registry reoffending in the new sex crime only come up with two or three times a month for the entire country. This is especially true when the news media makes a point any time, somebody on the registry reoffends and The story ends up showing all across the country. If a full 1% of the people with prior sexual convictions were to reoffend there would be at least 144 people show up on the news per WEEK instead of the two were three per MONTH that do show up. The few studies that have been done of the re-offense rate of people on the registry show a re-offense rate of less than 1% per year. So It would seem that organizations need to speak up for that 99+% for the families and offenders that have paid their debt to society, but because of the registry, these families and children have been made to suffer a living hell.

Why aren’t other organizations and groups taking a stand and speak out against this state-sponsored segregation and discrimination, because if they don’t soon it will only lead to more segregation and discrimination against other groups. It’s easy for corrupt politicians to pass laws that are only enacted against the low hanging fruit of society, but eventually when that fruit is gone they start picking from higher limbs on the tree. Think about it, if they can get away with it with a specific group of citizens now, you or somebody you know may be the next one that is discriminated against. You need to start acting now to put an end to the segregation and discrimination that has been in-acted by public officials against the children and families of registered citizens. Removing community notification will save hundreds of thousands of children from harms way.

7 comments for “The Concern for the Damage the Registry does to Young Offenders.

1. Anonymous
    February 12, 2020 at 2:53 pm

They wanted it and said it was to protect the most vulnerable!
    They then turned it on the most vulnerablel
    Professional liars!

• MARK S.
      February 13, 2020 at 9:30 am

LOL!!!! “In our government we trust.” That’s right……. Vulnerable until they offend. Then after “offending,” they are no longer vulnerable…………..

February 20, 2020 at 7:18 pm

The sex offender registry is nothing more than another form of identity theft. People believe the propaganda and the stigma that the Main stream news agencies and local news agencies spread. Every time a person moves into or out of the community the community is notified through an app or email. You can google a persons name these days and you might be surprised what you will find.

Finding a job or housing is damned near impossible. unless you have a college degree or have a trade under your belt and that still doesn’t guarantee anything but it opens more possibilities.

You can be followed, harassed, harassed on and off the job, threatened, brutally beaten etc etc… you know what, it doesn’t matter that you were the victim, the news is gonna focus on the fact that part, you are a sex offender and the community is perfectly alright with that.

Well, I will be the one to tell you that i am not a person to feel bad when i hear about identity theft or bullying because frankly in my book, Sex offenders get bullied too and just because they are on the registry they are strictly held to the lowest standard among any crime and ignored. People are in the mindset that a sex offender can’t be changed and are defined by their actions forever.

Sex Offenders are denied voting rights but are required to fill out a census. I never understood why because if we can’t even have a voice in government or anything, why should census matter?? Our voices are not being heard anyway and if we can’t obtain a livable wage to survive, what difference does it make if we aren’t even able to be a consumer within the community or for that matter have a chance to prove ourselves within our communities when we are under so much oppression and restrictions??

I don’t trust the government or any of its entities at all.

3. Gary
    February 22, 2020 at 10:02 am

I have been a victim of the type of ongoing punishment that the system piles onto a sex offender. I am 65 years old and have shown through polygraph that the offense I was convicted of was the only time in my entire life that i have offended. This conviction cost me my respect, my two children that don’t bother to speak to me any longer, my three grandchildren who are growing up and calling someone else grandpa. I am not allowed to go anywhere that there could be any possible contact with minors. I have been imprisoned for a year, let out on parole and subjected to polygraphs and ongoing therapy which only brings back to the forefront that I am a sexual offender and need to be fixed….. I have been robbed and tied to a tree with a gun to my head because someone found out I was an S.O. and I know that even after everything is said and done. At the end of it all there is nothing. I guess I’m lucky, I’m an old man now at 65 I find myself a sexual offender, as well I was diagnosed HIV positive after my release from prison. Why am I lucky? Because in a few years it will all be over for me, but for those others I see, some as young as 18, will be living with this stigma for the rest of their young lives. We as a country, are creating a whole new class of sub-citizens. The treatment of whom is reflected to the loved ones and their children through them. The bottom line is this, If I or any other SO could go through the process of arrest,
    conviction, imprisonment (and all the dangers involved with imprisonment), parole (and it’s many restrictions), therapy (a reinforcement that we are in need of repair) ….after all of this we are still where we started out…. a sex offender. Someone would actually have to have a serious problem to want to go out and offend again. I am getting ready to make my stand and more than likely will end up imprisoned again because I refuse to bend, but I’m going to make some noise before I go. i know one man alone probably has no choice in the matter, but I can’t take the therapy and unfair restrictions any longer.

February 25, 2020 at 8:28 pm

I am sorry to hear you’ve been through the gambit of what you’ve been through. I will be praying for you Gary.

I am strictly against putting people in prison when the communities today DO NOT offer any form of rehabilitation for SOs. I believe putting people in prison makes them worse than what they were when they first went in. Now, don’t get me wrong, Their are people who you just can’t help but then you have the bias judges and judicial system who overlooks the damage they may cause by placing a young person in prison and forgets the person and the case and the age of the individual. You can’t complain about a person coming out after 20-30 years knowing they went in without programs within the prison and/or protection. People who have a chance to prove themselves deserve to be under protective custody while in any jail or prison.

If i had the means and the character to be able to start a program in my community i would. But i can’t even volunteer. I am unemployed and have been for quite some time. I thank Jesus everyday that he gave me a loving wife and sees me for who i am and doesn’t have any issues with my background. She would love for me to be able to get a job and try to use some of my money to be part of or research ways to start a support group and accountability partners where we can hold each other accountable and yet be of support of one another. They can do it with drug and alcohol folks, why not us? How many repeat offenses do they have that hasnt worked?? Those who are in charge of those groups don’t follow up with the individuals at all and fall back into a habit all over again. The problem i see, is people are too in a hurry to drop people and out of sight out of mind so to speak. Nobody helps each other anymore unless it’s about them and effects them and then it’s a whole other story.

I encourage you to please reach out to the word of God and tell him your troubles and give your life to him. He is the only one who can help you right now. Do it before its too late. Find some type of prison ministry and ask them to pray over you for healing.

4. February 25, 2020 at 3:25 am

once a crime committed can take your one lifetime of harresment. I don’t understand why to keep a registry to shame someone for their mistakes through out their life. I condemn this. and you should too.

5. Tim
    February 26, 2020 at 4:45 pm

I’m just hoping more peaceful assembly will occur by registrants in state and D.C. Capitals.
    I honestly think they’ll freak out of their minds!